Sometimes due to a low battery or Wi-Fi connectivity issues, you may be unable to update the software on your PlayBook over the air. There is an alternative and that is to connect it to your PC or laptop, and get BlackBerry Desktop Software to help. During the steps below, make sure your laptop battery is fully charged, or plugged in to charge. Depending on the size of the update, it can take an hour to install the PlayBook software.
Firstly, if you don’t have a copy, you’ll need to download and install BlackBerry Desktop Software. It can be retrieved from here:
Once it has been installed:
1. Start up the BlackBerry Desktop software.
2. Connect up your PlayBook to the PC via a USB cable. Type in your PlayBook password if prompted.
3. You should then be presented with the option to update the software. Click on Update Later.
4. Click on Back up now to create a backup of the device.
5. Once done, click on Device and select Update. You should then be presented with the screen below. Select Get Update.
6. The next screen will ask you if you wish to be informed of future updates via email. If you do, then tick this and enter your email address. Either way, click on Install to proceed. From this point on, do not unplug the PlayBook from the PC.
7. The BlackBerry Desktop software will start downloading the latest software for the PlayBook and display the progress.
8. Once done, the software will start installing onto the PlayBook.
9. When it has finished installing the update, BlackBerry Desktop will ask you to unplug the PlayBook.
10. If necessary, plug the PlayBook back in to restore the back up. Click on Device and select Restore.